Skip to main content

A Culture of Excellence

It is hard to avoid the energy that is building towards the Patriots next attempt at a Super Bowl on Sunday around here. As of Wednesday this week, I was swimming in a full on assault to see if Mr. Schneider might call another Sunday night Super Bowl snow day with a pending storm on the way during his final year. And while it is hard to deny that the media coverage is a bit much at the moment (how much more can we hear about mysterious “tensions” in the locker room), watching this epic run by the Patriots reminds me of a few things about football I feel compelled to mention.

I actually have thought extensively about speaking too much about the role football has played in my life, as I worry I might suddenly be labeled as an anti-intellectual jock…or people will say that I place too much emphasis on sports. But I must say that this particular sport shaped and formed me in some fundamental ways. The first shaping was undoubtedly in my role as a player. It was there that I learned that consistent hard work and attention to detail could lead to success. In my case, I was not blessed with amazing athletic ability, and yet I worked my way into a successful Division III college career through many wind sprints and workouts when no one was checking up on me. My parents wouldn’t let me pick up a football until I got to Middle School with a program run by real teachers. Actually, I never really picked up a football again once I was moved from Tight End to Tackle in ninth grade. Even with a late start compared to my peer hockey and soccer players, I became something. And I truly learned that my team would only be as good as our weakest link…as evidenced by being captain to a team that suffered its first losing season in over twenty years – humbling stuff. The whole “do your job” cliche is really not a joke – without everyone taking care of his unglamorous part in the equation, the team simply went nowhere.

I still maintain that coaching football at college level was among the most intellectually stimulating experiences of my lifetime. Seems counterintuitive when one thinks about the stereotypes, but perhaps a little less so when you observe the brainpower on the Patriots coaching staff. It just so happens that soon to be Detroit Lions head coach Matt Patricia was on my college coaching staff way back then. Watching the attention to detail and work ethic – even then – was eye opening. Particularly in coaching high school later on, I loved learning that a great coach with a disciplined team of smart kids could actually beat some teams that were far more talented. I reveled in my David vs. Goliath coaching experiences in this regard, searching for a weakness to exploit or creating a new play sequence that would be indefensible. I would also tell you that my training as a lowly graduate assistant football coach at Amherst College taught me much that matters as a Head of School: attention to detail, routine, preparation, and creating the conditions in which your players could thrive – I use all of this in my current role on a daily basis.

I do appreciate how much the world despises the Patriots, but it needs to be said that their organizational turnaround is also astounding simply from a leadership/CEO perspective. I still remember with great pain the days of Tony Eason, Mosi Tatupu, and Tony Frankin. And Steve Grogan. They were mostly challenging days…and a very challenging stadium. Today’s Patriots are an example of how the culture of an organization can change in enduring ways with strong and consistent leadership over a long period of time. I am not here to say that all of the people or all of the decisions have always been perfect along the way. But it is extraordinary to see a culture move from one of expected disappointment to such consistently high performance over time.

I hope all of you Eagles fans were able to suffer through that one with me. As for me, I am dusting off my electric blue Bruce Armstrong Patriots shirt for our dress down Friday. Once a lineman, always a lineman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Final Dance

The Berwick events are jam packed in these final weeks of May, but a particularly special one for me has always been the amazing dance shows. Each year I am inspired to see how this program – a school within a school – comes together to put on such extravaganzas for the community to enjoy. Last weekend’s edition was one of my favorite moments to truly soak in the nature of a PK-12 school, as one can’t help but notice the progression of talent and development throughout the dance companies. Perhaps even more impressively, the dance program is one of the greatest examples we have of mentoring and role modeling across divisions. Whether that is as impressive as shared performances on stage or as mundane as managing the littlest dancers backstage, it is truly a community effort. Selfishly, this is the one program on campus that all three of the Schneider girls love equally, and as a parent it has been such a gift to see them on stage together. While they share a common bond through the

E.T.

I don’t think everyone is aware that for this period between Thanksgiving and Winter break, grade levels within the Middle School temporarily re-organize themselves to offer interdisciplinary learning experiences to break up the regular routine of class. This year, I was asked to participate in the “Machine Pilot” aspect of the seventh grade effort to explore the concept of extra-terrestrial life (E.T.). Seventh graders are asked to consider who, out of anyone on the planet, they would choose to send into outer space to interact with alien life forms and why. Our students are told they can literally choose any person on the planet, and the focus need not necessarily be someone with experience in space travel. In fact, they are asked to envision a pre-programmed ship with one seat, leaving them to consider not just technical skills but who would we want to represent human kind in this first interaction. They research, create resumes, write persuasive cover letters and are ultimately as

The Campus as Mission

Yesterday, I was fortunate to spend an entire day with our board in retreat to discuss the future of Berwick Academy. The day included strategic conversations about the future of financial aid, innovation, and our amazing campus. In considering the strengths of the Berwick campus, almost everyone spoke to the remarkable quality of our main quad, the blend of old and new buildings, and the incredible open space we have to support our programs. There is an aura of learning and support on this campus that is clearly bolstered by the physical space and buildings. This sense will only be strengthened by the addition of the new Wellness Center next year. Looking ahead, there are still improvements to be made. Certainly parking is a concern, and we continue to dream about new facilities that might make the Berwick experience even more special for our students. One of the key insights that emerged from these conversations was the way in which the physical campus needs to reflect the