Skip to main content

Swaying in a different direction

Last week I had the amazing opportunity to travel with a few people from Berwick to the NAIS People of Color conference. If you are not aware, it is a gathering of independent school educators from around the country who come together to think about the challenges and opportunities in work supporting inclusivity and diversity. I had not been for a few years, and I was drawn to a number of the speakers – most notably a keynote address from Ta-Nehisi Coates. Interestingly, this conference has now grown larger than the traditional national industry conference, with over 6,000 people in attendance, 1500 of which were students. For me, there is really no other professional forum that affords one a chance to learn by leaning into discomfort in quite the same way. Each time I sit in a session at this gathering, I am aware of my minority status in the room, as it is so different from my daily life. I am also struck by the ways in which employees of color need these kinds of opportunities to network and find solidarity as they head back into their predominantly white communities – Berwick is in no way an anomaly in this regard. Some peer K-12 independent schools brought as many as 40 faculty and staff (not including students), and it was certainly common to hear numbers larger than ten.

Perhaps what I was most proud of personally was that I followed through on a desire to join the “POCC choir.” About sixty of us stepped forward to have three rehearsals during the conference and perform at closing ceremonies in front of 6,000 people. It was a diverse group of singers, and some of the talent was inspirational (not mine). I noted that there were only three Heads of School bold enough to take to the stage.  For the most part, I was up to the singing task. While the rehearsals were brief, and I was a touch nervous, I knew I could hold down my bass part. But given that we were singing some gospel songs, I had growing anxiety about my ability to clap – and more importantly sway – in the proper rhythm. After watching me (and a few others) during practice, the director had to stop, smile, and explicitly teach us how to do it.

“You see, you don’t want to actually pick your feet up off the ground. Keep those feet planted and just start moving. I want you to feel grounded when you sing this music.”

As the rehearsals flew by, my anxiety built, and I told my Berwick colleagues as much. As expected, when we took the stage in a blur and our amazing soloist started belting out a gospel tune, the six foot four white Head of School from Maine in the back row started swaying in the wrong direction. As I bumped shoulders in both directions, I tuned beat red and smiled – knowing that my colleagues in the audience had noticed…and perhaps I was wondering if everyone in the audience had done so. But in a flash, I was back in rhythm, the songs were over, and no one probably understood the depth of my inner turmoil.


Having now had a few days to reflect on the whole experience, I obviously have a range of emotions. Certainly I am glad that I took the risk to be up there; I made some great new friends and was reminded of the power and joy inherent in singing in large groups. But the experience also offered me a kind of cultural window and mirror – looking into the experience of others while seeing my own experience reflected back to me as well. In the end, it is probably true that anyone who is not in the majority in a particular setting feels like they find themselves swaying in a different direction. There are unspoken norms that are often invisible to majority, and they are hard to pick up even when addressed explicitly. As I return to the relative comfort of my usual experience back on campus, I am trying to see those invisible norms a bit more clearly, wondering how we might do a better job as a community making them explicit to all in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E.T.

I don’t think everyone is aware that for this period between Thanksgiving and Winter break, grade levels within the Middle School temporarily re-organize themselves to offer interdisciplinary learning experiences to break up the regular routine of class. This year, I was asked to participate in the “Machine Pilot” aspect of the seventh grade effort to explore the concept of extra-terrestrial life (E.T.). Seventh graders are asked to consider who, out of anyone on the planet, they would choose to send into outer space to interact with alien life forms and why. Our students are told they can literally choose any person on the planet, and the focus need not necessarily be someone with experience in space travel. In fact, they are asked to envision a pre-programmed ship with one seat, leaving them to consider not just technical skills but who would we want to represent human kind in this first interaction. They research, create resumes, write persuasive cover letters and are ultimately as

The Campus as Mission

Yesterday, I was fortunate to spend an entire day with our board in retreat to discuss the future of Berwick Academy. The day included strategic conversations about the future of financial aid, innovation, and our amazing campus. In considering the strengths of the Berwick campus, almost everyone spoke to the remarkable quality of our main quad, the blend of old and new buildings, and the incredible open space we have to support our programs. There is an aura of learning and support on this campus that is clearly bolstered by the physical space and buildings. This sense will only be strengthened by the addition of the new Wellness Center next year. Looking ahead, there are still improvements to be made. Certainly parking is a concern, and we continue to dream about new facilities that might make the Berwick experience even more special for our students. One of the key insights that emerged from these conversations was the way in which the physical campus needs to reflect the

Sugar Shack

Late April always brings the excitement of the BPC benefit, and I want to encourage the community to attend on April 28 at the Sheraton in Portsmouth. Certainly it is a fun way to gather and celebrate what makes BA so special, but it is also true that the funds raised through BPC help move our school forward in such compelling ways. Just this week I was reminded of this reality after I was invited to offer feedback to Krysta Ibsen’s eighth grade science project. As many of you know, Krysta has become famous for her Sugar Shack projects, which teach our kids aspects of science and entrepreneurship through the practice of making maple syrup. Clearly this is an example of student directed learning, where kids get to pursue individual interests within the broader educational construct. What I have always loved about the event is that it changes every year, and this year Krysta charged the kids to propose a real model for a permanent Sugar Shack we might build on campus someday. Kids