Skip to main content

The Book Fair Returns to the Library

With all of the excitement for the new Inspiration Commons (we already have three schools coming to see it this fall), there was something so fulfilling in seeing our book fair set up in the new collaborative hub space. Our BPC volunteers each year find new twists and titles to make the experience so special. I say all of this as someone with three daughters in the Lower School. Within 24 hours of the first day, my girls had each filled out multi page lists of all the books they wanted. For my oldest - fantasy and science fiction, middle child focused on all things animals, and youngest just so proud to have a beginner chapter book (with pictures) so she might be like her older sisters, even though I know she can’t really read yet.

My girls do love to read, and I thank the Berwick Lower School teachers, staff, and librarians for this reality. In fact, I really don’t thank them enough. Frequently my girls force us to shut off their lights multiple times in order to stop reading the particular chapter that has gripped them on a given night. I continue to believe that amidst all the distractions of screens and gaming, this passionate love of reading will be the most important skill they learn for the future. Whatever form it takes, they will need to engage with and comprehend language in all that they do. For my older two girls, it has already become intrinsic in nature: they read to calm themselves down and to assuage that insatiable innate curiosity of young people.


I am struck that we, as Berwick parents, should not take this for granted – this love of reading. I am sure that it grips some kids more than others in our community, and I am also sure my daughters will be demanding cell phones and X-boxes before too long. But we really are lucky. We are lucky that Berwick has so many great books and so many thoughtful adults who can connect individual students to individual stories. Today I walked through the library three or four times, and each time I saw Lower School students pouring over titles and trying to make hard decisions. I had a pretty full day, so I was unable to travel to the book fair with my kids. My role was relegated to arriving with the credit card later in the afternoon. I paid for my stack and tucked the nine volumes under my arm and headed for the door when I crossed paths with another Berwick parent. I commented on the tradition of the book fair and how I had been ordered to come home with a full load. He smirked and said, “There are far worse investments we could be making,” I could not agree more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Shack

Late April always brings the excitement of the BPC benefit, and I want to encourage the community to attend on April 28 at the Sheraton in Portsmouth. Certainly it is a fun way to gather and celebrate what makes BA so special, but it is also true that the funds raised through BPC help move our school forward in such compelling ways. Just this week I was reminded of this reality after I was invited to offer feedback to Krysta Ibsen’s eighth grade science project. As many of you know, Krysta has become famous for her Sugar Shack projects, which teach our kids aspects of science and entrepreneurship through the practice of making maple syrup. Clearly this is an example of student directed learning, where kids get to pursue individual interests within the broader educational construct. What I have always loved about the event is that it changes every year, and this year Krysta charged the kids to propose a real model for a permanent Sugar Shack we might build on campus someday. Kids

E.T.

I don’t think everyone is aware that for this period between Thanksgiving and Winter break, grade levels within the Middle School temporarily re-organize themselves to offer interdisciplinary learning experiences to break up the regular routine of class. This year, I was asked to participate in the “Machine Pilot” aspect of the seventh grade effort to explore the concept of extra-terrestrial life (E.T.). Seventh graders are asked to consider who, out of anyone on the planet, they would choose to send into outer space to interact with alien life forms and why. Our students are told they can literally choose any person on the planet, and the focus need not necessarily be someone with experience in space travel. In fact, they are asked to envision a pre-programmed ship with one seat, leaving them to consider not just technical skills but who would we want to represent human kind in this first interaction. They research, create resumes, write persuasive cover letters and are ultimately as

The Campus as Mission

Yesterday, I was fortunate to spend an entire day with our board in retreat to discuss the future of Berwick Academy. The day included strategic conversations about the future of financial aid, innovation, and our amazing campus. In considering the strengths of the Berwick campus, almost everyone spoke to the remarkable quality of our main quad, the blend of old and new buildings, and the incredible open space we have to support our programs. There is an aura of learning and support on this campus that is clearly bolstered by the physical space and buildings. This sense will only be strengthened by the addition of the new Wellness Center next year. Looking ahead, there are still improvements to be made. Certainly parking is a concern, and we continue to dream about new facilities that might make the Berwick experience even more special for our students. One of the key insights that emerged from these conversations was the way in which the physical campus needs to reflect the