Skip to main content

Intent vs. Impact

As my career steam rolls on, I am amazed at how frequently my job forces me to confront the gap between intent and impact. Certainly as adults, we have all heard some version of this as it relates to issues like harassment in the work place. Probably even more so, we have all experienced having a joke misunderstood, a comment taken out of context, or an email’s tone come back to haunt us. As Head of School, I confront this gap not only in the world of human resources with well over 100 employees, but also in terms of student discipline. How much does it matter whether or not the student intended to cheat? Does it matter that a student did not intend for their comment to be racially offensive? Are we responding to the behavior or the intention?

Far more compelling that any of this complexity is my emerging realization of this gap for me as a leader. Sitting in my pristine perch in Burleigh Davidson, surely I know that I operate with the best of intentions, right? Whether it is curriculum development, campus improvements, hiring, admissions – you name it – I generally enter my decisions and actions with the best of intent. But there are so many times when my impact is revealed to me in surprising ways. Perhaps a comment I have made at a presentation felt dismissive or intimidating, or maybe by highlighting someone’s great work on our campus I have in fact offended someone else who was not recognized. Sometimes by leading the school into a well-intended conversation around cultural competency, I am made aware of my own limitations and biases as a white male of privilege sitting in the position of power that I hold.
         
It can be exhausting for all of us to exist in a world where we need to be accountable not merely for what we intend, but for how everyone around us interprets what we do. This strikes me as a particularly scary proposition for teenagers heading off to college, where social media also leaves a breadcrumb trail of our impact. All of this reminds me that our work in emotional intelligence is essential. Perhaps above all else, self-awareness is the most essential ingredient of leadership. If I were completely inept at considering how others might interpret or react to my decisions, I would have been sunk along time ago. Even with my slightly compulsive ability to focus on this area of my leadership, I make mistakes constantly. Building relationships that are girded with trust and understanding help all of us when we slip up. This is yet another reason why the closeness of relationships at this school -teacher to student, teacher to teacher, and student to student - is so essential to its DNA and its 225 years of survival. There is resiliency embedded in trust and understanding.


Good luck on your own journey into self-awareness, and hopefully it won’t vex you so deeply that you feel compelled to share your reflections publically like I do. Otherwise, you will find yourself in my spot once again– awaiting to understand your unintended impact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E.T.

I don’t think everyone is aware that for this period between Thanksgiving and Winter break, grade levels within the Middle School temporarily re-organize themselves to offer interdisciplinary learning experiences to break up the regular routine of class. This year, I was asked to participate in the “Machine Pilot” aspect of the seventh grade effort to explore the concept of extra-terrestrial life (E.T.). Seventh graders are asked to consider who, out of anyone on the planet, they would choose to send into outer space to interact with alien life forms and why. Our students are told they can literally choose any person on the planet, and the focus need not necessarily be someone with experience in space travel. In fact, they are asked to envision a pre-programmed ship with one seat, leaving them to consider not just technical skills but who would we want to represent human kind in this first interaction. They research, create resumes, write persuasive cover letters and are ultimately as

The Campus as Mission

Yesterday, I was fortunate to spend an entire day with our board in retreat to discuss the future of Berwick Academy. The day included strategic conversations about the future of financial aid, innovation, and our amazing campus. In considering the strengths of the Berwick campus, almost everyone spoke to the remarkable quality of our main quad, the blend of old and new buildings, and the incredible open space we have to support our programs. There is an aura of learning and support on this campus that is clearly bolstered by the physical space and buildings. This sense will only be strengthened by the addition of the new Wellness Center next year. Looking ahead, there are still improvements to be made. Certainly parking is a concern, and we continue to dream about new facilities that might make the Berwick experience even more special for our students. One of the key insights that emerged from these conversations was the way in which the physical campus needs to reflect the

Sugar Shack

Late April always brings the excitement of the BPC benefit, and I want to encourage the community to attend on April 28 at the Sheraton in Portsmouth. Certainly it is a fun way to gather and celebrate what makes BA so special, but it is also true that the funds raised through BPC help move our school forward in such compelling ways. Just this week I was reminded of this reality after I was invited to offer feedback to Krysta Ibsen’s eighth grade science project. As many of you know, Krysta has become famous for her Sugar Shack projects, which teach our kids aspects of science and entrepreneurship through the practice of making maple syrup. Clearly this is an example of student directed learning, where kids get to pursue individual interests within the broader educational construct. What I have always loved about the event is that it changes every year, and this year Krysta charged the kids to propose a real model for a permanent Sugar Shack we might build on campus someday. Kids