Skip to main content

The Final Blog

It is amazing to acknowledge that this will be my final Friday blog of the 2015-2016 school year. It is time for me to spend some time coming up with new material for the fall – I am quite sure the audience needs more of a break than I do. Earlier yesterday I participated once again in Young Author’s Day, watching as we pushed Lower School students out of their comfort zone to present their work in a public way. Simultaneously the push is on in the rest of the school to motor through exams and final assessments. There are final athletic and musical events, and awards ceremonies abound; there seems to be an infinite amount of activity on this campus right now. It is the time of year when schools want to see tangible evidence of progress as a validation of our collective work to date. Sometimes that evidence is a bit more qualitative than quantitative in nature.

Earlier this week, I was deeply touched by the number of parents who have approached me to indicate just how proud they are that we had a student successfully initiate a gender transition process in our Middle School. I want to tip my hat to the deep and thoughtful work done by Ryan Feely and Michael Buensuceso, among others, to bring us to this point. Much of the story is a personal one, and I want to respect that privacy in my comments today. However, I do think this event is something to celebrate as a school. For example, I know now that we had a Lower School student a number of years ago who did not feel able to transition in this community, and I continue to feel a sense of sadness that this was the case.


If we are searching for evidence of progress, surely the events in our Middle School this week are strong indicators of positive progress. We all can have different levels of worry or concern about Berwick’s policies on supporting transgender students, but I think it would be hard to argue the fact we have a student feeling safe enough to make this kind of change during the school year is a statement about our culture. So while I do not want to single out this student, I do want to single out a school community that has clearly grown in recent years. Through an increased willingness to engage in complex topics as a learning community, we are making headway. While the courage and the praise for this transition process belongs to one individual, I want you all to know that this has been a week when I have been particularly proud to call myself the Head of School at Berwick Academy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piercing the Bubble

This week we were so fortunate to have former NH Senator Kelly Ayotte address grades 7 – 11 in our theater about Civil Discourse in a time of Political Polarization. Senator Ayotte spoke to the need to take the high road in tough conversations and put an incredible primacy on building relationships with people who hold different opinions. She was able to speak to some of her own successes in working across the aisle to develop legislation to address the opioid crisis in New Hampshire as one powerful example of how this can be possible. Additionally, Senator Ayotte offered a strong reminder to our students of the need for more women in positions of leadership within our government, citing that she had only been the 53rd woman to serve in the US senate during her tenure. With a down-to-earth style and but an appropriately impassioned call to action, she challenged our students to become the leaders that they could be. Her call to action and example of service were powerful reminder...

Arts Underground

One of Berwick’s great strengths is its arts culture, and I have always felt that there is both a public and private face of this culture. The public face includes our amazing concerts, our ambitious productions, and the various art shows we produce throughout the year. The private face tends to include things like private lessons, coffeehouses, assembly performances, murals painted on walls, and unexpected artistic expressions that emerge on campus throughout the year. One of the great traditions I will miss at Berwick will be the annual recital week in April. So many of our students hone their craft on private music lessons throughout the year in the hopes of having a public performance at this time. Simultaneously, we have a week of performances in the theater and in Chip Harding’s coffeehouse lair – the space he likes to refer to as his “smoldering ruins,” referring to the carnage left there after every Middle School electric guitar class. This year, for my second and final time, I...

Curriculum 2020 in Action

Last week I took my oldest daughter to Global Ex , and she told me she wished she had a chance to build something now rather than waiting for seventh grade. As she dropped marbles in various contraptions, she asked for deep explanations as to how all of the moving parts worked together. Perhaps more than any other indicator, her comment told me that our interdisciplinary revamp of our traditional science fair is working. Global Ex is now a long-term project that combines seventh grade World Cultures and Science, forcing students to collaborate, do research, consider social change, and quite simply - to build stuff. There was huge evidence of work that had been done in our fabrication studio, not to mention the coding, circuitry, and presentation skills all on display. Continuing with a long-standing tradition at this school, Berwick students were asked to put on a public display of what they had learned. Earlier last week, I engaged a group of parents in a brainstorming session ...