Skip to main content

Secret Santa Seniors

            Every year, just before the holidays, a number of holiday surprises end up on my desk from members of the Berwick community. They often include things like baked goods, chocolate, books, or occasionally, gift cards. I am always humbled by this generosity, especially when individual students deliver these gifts. I was particularly moved when I returned to my desk yesterday to find a beautiful tin with a note signed, “Love, 2016.” I quickly ran out to Colleen and asked – is this from the senior class? She confirmed my suspicion. I was frankly a bit stunned, as this had never happened before. Later last night, at our faculty holiday party, I learned that the senior class had done this for all Upper School employees as well.

            At the end of today, we will have our holiday candle lighting ceremony, which will honor our seniors as a group. It needs to be said that their energy, optimism, and leadership this year have been remarkable. Whether it has been daily assembly, dances, welcoming new students, or gestures like their holiday gift giving…they have risen to the challenge to lead our school this year. It is hard to articulate how much this effort drives the success of our community. And while there is certainly a long way to go before graduation, I wanted to express today how grateful I am for the class of 2016 as a group.



            To the rest of you, I want to say Happy Holidays. I look forward to sending all of our students off to their families after our assembly this afternoon. I hope that all Berwick families are able to slow down the pace, do some snow dances, and enjoy each other’s company for these next two weeks. We look forward to getting back to work when you return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piercing the Bubble

This week we were so fortunate to have former NH Senator Kelly Ayotte address grades 7 – 11 in our theater about Civil Discourse in a time of Political Polarization. Senator Ayotte spoke to the need to take the high road in tough conversations and put an incredible primacy on building relationships with people who hold different opinions. She was able to speak to some of her own successes in working across the aisle to develop legislation to address the opioid crisis in New Hampshire as one powerful example of how this can be possible. Additionally, Senator Ayotte offered a strong reminder to our students of the need for more women in positions of leadership within our government, citing that she had only been the 53rd woman to serve in the US senate during her tenure. With a down-to-earth style and but an appropriately impassioned call to action, she challenged our students to become the leaders that they could be. Her call to action and example of service were powerful reminder...

Arts Underground

One of Berwick’s great strengths is its arts culture, and I have always felt that there is both a public and private face of this culture. The public face includes our amazing concerts, our ambitious productions, and the various art shows we produce throughout the year. The private face tends to include things like private lessons, coffeehouses, assembly performances, murals painted on walls, and unexpected artistic expressions that emerge on campus throughout the year. One of the great traditions I will miss at Berwick will be the annual recital week in April. So many of our students hone their craft on private music lessons throughout the year in the hopes of having a public performance at this time. Simultaneously, we have a week of performances in the theater and in Chip Harding’s coffeehouse lair – the space he likes to refer to as his “smoldering ruins,” referring to the carnage left there after every Middle School electric guitar class. This year, for my second and final time, I...

Curriculum 2020 in Action

Last week I took my oldest daughter to Global Ex , and she told me she wished she had a chance to build something now rather than waiting for seventh grade. As she dropped marbles in various contraptions, she asked for deep explanations as to how all of the moving parts worked together. Perhaps more than any other indicator, her comment told me that our interdisciplinary revamp of our traditional science fair is working. Global Ex is now a long-term project that combines seventh grade World Cultures and Science, forcing students to collaborate, do research, consider social change, and quite simply - to build stuff. There was huge evidence of work that had been done in our fabrication studio, not to mention the coding, circuitry, and presentation skills all on display. Continuing with a long-standing tradition at this school, Berwick students were asked to put on a public display of what they had learned. Earlier last week, I engaged a group of parents in a brainstorming session ...